LIFE IN A MONTH | february 2021 reading wrap-up, current music obsession, movies/series watched, & life lately

The shortest month of the year had come and gone and I absolutely have no idea if it was a good month for me, or just a meh one. If I'm going to rate February from 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest, I think it's a 3; and here's why--



On Books

In February, I read 16 books -- 14 of those are POC-written, with 8 books being physical copies, 5 being ebooks, and 3 being audiobooks. I'd like to say firsthand that the only reason why I was able to read that much was that I binge read a series. Without considering the number of books I've read in February, I still like to say that it was a good reading month for me because I only gave 4- and 5-star ratings on the books that I read. It feels kinda weird, but also feels really good, to not have a 3-star rating because when I rate a book 3 stars, it means I'm hella confused with the book. 😂 That's about it with the boring data and statistics, here are the books I've read in February and my thoughts on them!


Choco Chip Hips by Agay Llanera

Sixteen-year-old Jessie, a baking aficionado, is shy, overweight, and worries too much about what people think. But one summer, a family emergency makes her realize that life is too short to live it on autopilot. Taking her life by the reins, she embarks on a journey that involves ditching the apron for her tank top, as she hip-hop dances her way to new friendships, stronger family ties, and into her school’s most elite club. (Add on Goodreads | Buy on Amazon for $2.99 only!)

My Thoughts:

I enjoyed reading this book. It's nice to start the love month with something short and sweet. This book has a theme of body positivity but I hope it was executed a little bit better. I also hope that we got to see more of the "romance" budding (or not budding, I don't really know!! LOL) between the two main characters. Some things that I really like about it are the father-daughter relationship, the character development, friendship dynamics, how it showed both the fun and hard side of being a dancer, and the really delicious sweets mentioned throughout the story!

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

My disease is as rare as it is famous. It’s a form of Severe Combined Immunodeficiency, but basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in fifteen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives. New next door neighbors. I look out the window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black t-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly. I want to learn everything about him, and I do. I learn that he is funny and fierce. I learn that his eyes are Atlantic Ocean-blue and that his vice is stealing silverware. I learn that when I talk to him, my whole world opens up, and I feel myself starting to change—starting to want things. To want out of my bubble. To want everything, everything the world has to offer.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster. (Add on Goodreads |  Buy on Amazon)

My Thoughts:

I didn't expect that I'll devour this book in a day! It's a really cute love story but it's also more than just that. It tackles topics like boundaries, knowing yourself, loss, and what both trauma and love can do to a person. It's pretty fast-paced and I have to admit that I felt giddy 60% of the time while reading this. 😁


Chlorine Sky by Mahogany L. Browne

A novel-in-verse about a young girl coming-of-age and stepping out of the shadow of her former best friend. Perfect for readers of Elizabeth Acevedo and Nikki Grimes.

She looks me hard in my eyes
& my knees lock into tree trunks
My eyes don't dance like my heartbeat racing
They stare straight back hot daggers.
I remember things will never be the same.
I remember things.

With gritty and heartbreaking honesty, Mahogany L. Browne delivers a novel-in-verse about broken promises, fast rumors, and when growing up means growing apart from your best friend. (Add on Goodreads | Buy on Amazon)

My Thoughts:

What I like most about this novel in verse is how raw it feels to read it. I feel connected to the main character in a way that I feel like I can see things through her eyes. The main character experienced a lot of bullying, racism, and colorism, and yet she remained kind. She said that some people might see her kindness as weakness, but that’s not true, because every day, she keeps on fighting. I adore Sky so much. This story is a must-read for all persons of color, especially teens and young adults. This novel in verse is the perfect companion if you’re feeling alone.




A Silent Voice Volumes 4-7 by Yoshitoki Oima

Shoya is a bully. When Shoko, a girl who can’t hear, enters his elementary school class, she becomes their favorite target, and Shoya and his friends goad each other into devising new tortures for her. But the children’s cruelty goes too far. Shoko is forced to leave the school, and Shoya ends up shouldering all the blame. Six years later, the two meet again. Can Shoya make up for his past mistakes, or is it too late? (Add on Goodreads | Buy on Amazon)

My Thoughts:

To wrap up my thoughts on the whole series, I'd say that you gotta be patient with it because for the first three volumes, I was kinda bored with them, but then I still pushed through the fourth volume and that's when the story got better. I was glad to see the characters' developments and I loved seeing how these characters grew so much. It is also a realistic coming-of-age story for the youth. [TW: depression, suicidal thoughts, bullying]




The Paris Library by Janet Skeslien Charles

Based on the true World War II story of the heroic librarians at the American Library in Paris, this is an unforgettable story of romance, friendship, family, and the power of literature to bring us together, perfect for fans of The Lilac Girls and The Paris Wife.

Paris, 1939: Young and ambitious Odile Souchet has it all: her handsome police officer beau and a dream job at the American Library in Paris. When the Nazis march into Paris, Odile stands to lose everything she holds dear, including her beloved library. Together with her fellow librarians, Odile joins the Resistance with the best weapons she has: books. But when the war finally ends, instead of freedom, Odile tastes the bitter sting of unspeakable betrayal.

Montana, 1983: Lily is a lonely teenager looking for adventure in small-town Montana. Her interest is piqued by her solitary, elderly neighbor. As Lily uncovers more about her neighbor’s mysterious past, she finds that they share a love of language, the same longings, and the same intense jealousy, never suspecting that a dark secret from the past connects them.

A powerful novel that explores the consequences of our choices and the relationships that make us who we are—family, friends, and favorite authors—The Paris Library shows that extraordinary heroism can sometimes be found in the quietest of places.
 (Add on Goodreads | Buy on Amazon)

My Thoughts:

The Paris Library is a powerful and heart-wrenching story about two female characters who are so different but also very similar to each other. It shows untold stories during the Second World War -- from being a librarian to being a public servant to being a family member, to being a lover, to being a friend. It also shows that the trauma that this tough time has brought to the people who've experienced it could make these victims do unexpected things -- either for their survival or for the survival of the people they love.

I love how the two main characters -- Odile and Lily - can be different but also similar to each other; and how the author was able to weave these differences and similarities together in a smooth, unexpected way. At some point, I would like to describe these two characters as morally grey, but at some point, their kindness and empathy for other people really show.

Having listened to the audiobook, I was pretty impressed with how atmospheric it felt and I believe that I wouldn't have enjoyed this book as much as I did if I read it either as a paperback or as an e-book. This book had its way of making me feel what the world really felt like during the Second World War. I felt the anxiety, the sudden quietness, the loneliness, the grief, and the total change in the atmosphere.

It was just a bit hard to get into this novel because the first half was really slow and nothing much has happened, but I think that's the author's way of making us get to know first all the characters that will be beneficial later on to the story. But for the next half of the story, that's when I got hooked to the story because that's when the atmosphere suddenly changed. You just gotta be patient with this book because I swear, the last 20% of it is really worth it. [TW: war, physical abuse]


Lalani of the Distant Sea by Erin Entrada Kelly

There are stories of extraordinary children who are chosen from birth to complete great quests and conquer evil villains.

This is no such story.

Sometimes, you are an ordinary child.

Sometimes, you have to choose yourself.

This is the story of Lalani Sarita, a twelve-year-old girl who lives on the island of Sanlagita in the shadow of a vengeful mountain. When she makes a fateful wish that endangers her already-vulnerable village, she sets out across the distant sea in search of life's good fortunes. Grown men have died making the same journey. What hope does an ordinary girl have?

Inspired by Filipino folklore, Lalani of the Distant Sea introduces readers to a landscape of magical creatures, such as Bai-Vinca, the enormous birdwoman; Ditasa Ulod, part woman, part eel; the mindoren, a race of creatures modeled after the water buffalo; and the whenbo -- trees that eat the souls of the dead. (Add on Goodreads | Buy on Amazon)

My Thoughts:

If I can only review this book in one sentence, it would be this: Lalani of the Distant Sea is the perfect book to read when you want to get lost in another world without fear. This book is full of magic and hope. It is unapologetically Filipino for it shows family-oriented, resilient, and helpful characters. It was a pleasure to see how Lalani grew from being timid and afraid to being strong and willful. I don't think I'll be able to give justice to how beautifully written this book is so I'm just gonna yell GO GRAB THIS BOOK AND DEVOUR IT.



Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

In this lyrical, absorbing, award-winning novel, nothing is as it seems, and every clue leads to more questions.

At age eleven, Taylor Markham was abandoned by her mother. At fourteen, she ran away from boarding school, only to be tracked down and brought back by a mysterious stranger. Now seventeen, Taylor's the reluctant leader of her school's underground community, whose annual territory war with the Townies and visiting Cadets has just begun. This year, though, the Cadets are led by Jonah Griggs, and Taylor can't avoid his intense gaze for long. To make matters worse, Hannah, the one adult Taylor trusts, has disappeared. But if Taylor can piece together the clues Hannah left behind, the truth she uncovers might not just settle her past, but also change her future. (Add on Goodreads | Buy on Amazon)

My Thoughts:

To be honest, I don't know how I'll talk about this book. It's that kind of book that you just need to read to know what it's really about. This book put me in a reading slump because I just needed a lot of time processing everything that happened in it. I can't even decide if this is a quick and easy read or a heavy and hard-to-get-through read. I feel like it's both? It's a quick and easy read because it's so easy to get hooked to the story, and it's also heartwarming to read about the friendship and family dynamics shown in it. On the other hand, it is also heavy and hard to get through because it's so emotional and heartbreaking. The characters in this book have been through a lot and I don't think I'll be able to move on from that, or rather, I don't think I'll be able to move on from this book.




A Princess in Theory by Alyssa Cole

Between grad school and multiple jobs, Naledi Smith doesn’t have time for fairy tales…or patience for the constant e-mails claiming she’s betrothed to an African prince. Sure. Right. Delete! As a former foster kid, she’s learned that the only things she can depend on are herself and the scientific method, and a silly e-mail won’t convince her otherwise.

Prince Thabiso is the sole heir to the throne of Thesolo, shouldering the hopes of his parents and his people. At the top of their list? His marriage. Ever dutiful, he tracks down his missing betrothed. When Naledi mistakes the prince for a pauper, Thabiso can’t resist the chance to experience life—and love—without the burden of his crown.

The chemistry between them is instant and irresistible, and flirty friendship quickly evolves into passionate nights. But when the truth is revealed, can a princess in theory become a princess ever after? (Add on Goodreads | Buy on Amazon)

My Thoughts:

I'm so surprised by this book. It is not your ordinary regal love story. It tackled important issues like how being a strong, independent woman of color in this time and age is still taboo to some people; and a lot of women of color still need to work SO MUCH HARDER to get to the place they deserve to be in because the world is just full of inequalities. I also like how this book managed to be both so pleasant and so juicy! I listened to the audiobook version of this and when I say don't listen to it while you're out and about, I'm serious, just listen to this when you're at home 'cause things are... spicy hot. 😉


All Boys Aren't Blue by George M. Johnson

In a series of personal essays, prominent journalist and LGBTQIA+ activist George M. Johnson explores his childhood, adolescence, and college years in New Jersey and Virginia. From the memories of getting his teeth kicked out by bullies at age five, to flea marketing with his loving grandmother, to his first sexual relationships, this young-adult memoir weaves together the trials and triumphs faced by Black queer boys.

Both a primer for teens eager to be allies as well as a reassuring testimony for young queer men of color, All Boys Aren't Blue covers topics such as gender identity, toxic masculinity, brotherhood, family, structural marginalization, consent, and Black joy. Johnson's emotionally frank style of writing will appeal directly to young adults. (Add on Goodreads | Buy on Amazon)

My Thoughts:

Let me start by saying I adore George M. Johnson's honesty. This memoir is raw and it might contain topics that are hard to read, but I think it's worth it. When I was reading this, there were times when I need to stop so I can breathe, process everything, and wish that I could hug George. With all the traumatic and confusing events in their life, George still remained to be a beautiful and kind soul. I think it came from having been raised by family members who are also good-hearted. If you want a no BS, just raw, just my life, my feelings, and my thoughts kind of memoir, then I highly recommend that you check this book out. [TW: cancer, death of a family member, homophobia, racism, incest, physical assault, rape, sexual content, sexual abuse, violence]




The Trouble With Hating You by Sajni Patel

Liya Thakkar is a successful biochemical engineer, takeout enthusiast, and happily single woman. The moment she realizes her parents' latest dinner party is a setup with the man they want her to marry, she's out the back door in a flash. Imagine her surprise when the same guy shows up at her office a week later -- the new lawyer hired to save her struggling company. What's not surprising: he's not too thrilled to see her either after that humiliating fiasco.

Jay Shah looks good on paper...and off. Especially if you like that whole gorgeous, charming lawyer-in-a-good-suit thing. He's also arrogant and infuriating. As their witty office banter turns into late night chats, Liya starts to think he might be the one man who truly accepts her. But falling for each other means exposing their painful pasts. Will Liya keep running, or will she finally give love a real chance? (Add on Goodreads | Buy on Amazon)

My Thoughts:

I'm not much of an adult romance fan but this book is the perfect adult romance I've read! It has all the things I want in a romance book -- a strong, independent woman; a gentlemanly, humorous beau; timely social issues; fun friendship; all the banters; and all the swoon! This book has so much more to offer than romance. It shows the reality of being a South-Asian, the struggles of having a different lifestyle than the people in your culture, the importance of being clear with your WANTS and NEEDS in life, and the importance of showing empathy and compassion for other people at all times because we never really know what they're going through. [TW: sexual assault, emotional and physical abuse]


Chasing Sunsets: Love & Wonders Anthology by Kaye Allen

Have you ever wondered how the sun and moon came to be? How time and memories work? Or even how the tides could have risen and swallowed an entire city? The world is full of wonderful stories, legends and myths that explain the unexplainable… and attempt to prove the impossible truth.

Chasing Sunsets: Love & Wonders Anthology is a collection of stories about the power of love, and the beauty and awe it bestows upon the eyes of many. Each story was woven in a progressing timeline, taking readers on a journey of romances from the ancient times of gods and goddesses to the complicated contemporary era of today. A fairy tale selection with a twist, Kaye Allen’s debut collection is reminiscent as it is new, and will tug at a reader’s heartstrings no matter how young or old. (Add on Goodreads | Buy on Viva Books)

My Thoughts:

Have you ever read a book where it felt so painful but it's also magical? It's that book for me. I loved every story in this anthology. It is an extraordinary reflection of how love feels in different aspects. This book is painful, but it's so magical and hopeful at the same time. I highly recommend this book if you're looking for an in-between-realistic-and-magical book to read AND IF YOU'VE BEEN WANTING TO READ THE LOVE STORY OF THE MOON AND THE SUN!!!



 Snow Falling in Spring by Moying Li

In 1966 Moying, a student at a prestigious language school in Beijing, seems destined for a promising future. Everything changes when student Red Guards begin to orchestrate brutal assaults, violent public humiliations, and forced confessions. After watching her teachers and headmasters beaten in public, Moying flees school for the safety of home, only to witness her beloved grandmother denounced, her home ransacked, her father's precious books flung onto the back of a truck, and Baba himself taken away. From labor camp, Baba entrusts a friend to deliver a reading list of banned books to Moying so that she can continue to learn. Now, with so much of her life at risk, she finds sanctuary in the world of imagination and learning.

This inspiring memoir follows Moying Li from age twelve to twenty-two, illuminating a complex, dark time in China's history as it tells the compelling story of one girl's difficult but determined coming-of-age during the Cultural Revolution. (Add on Goodreads | Buy on Amazon)

My Thoughts:

This book made me realize that literature is indeed really powerful and it can connect people. During the Cultural Revolution, some family members had to be taken apart from one another, but Moying Li showed in this autobiography that no matter how far families may be, there are unexpected ways on how we can remain connected with each other. In this case, literature became the connection. It also became a sanctuary to Moying Li during those tough years. Li's love for literature can be seen through her writing style. You can really see that she's a well-read person by the way she did world-building, and how she described a specific scene and how she goes from scene A to scene B, and how she builds anticipation for the reader to be hooked to her life's story. I'd have to say that my favorite thing about this memoir is when she met her mentor because it was ultimate serendipity. [TW: suicide, physical abuse]


Blood Heir by Amelie Wen Zhao

In the Cyrilian Empire, Affinites are reviled. Their varied gifts to control the world around them are deemed unnatural--even dangerous. And Anastacya Mikhailov, the crown princess, is one of the most terrifying Affinites.

Ana's ability to control blood has long been kept secret, but when her father, the emperor, is murdered, she is the only suspect. Now, to save her own life, Ana must find her father's killer. But the Cyrilia beyond the palace walls is one where corruption rules and a greater conspiracy is at work--one that threatens the very balance of Ana's world.

There is only one person corrupt enough to help Ana get to the conspiracy's core: Ramson Quicktongue. Ramson is a cunning crime lord with sinister plans--though he might have met his match in Ana. Because in this story, the princess might be the most dangerous player of all. (Add on Goodreads | Buy on Amazon)

 My Thoughts:

Well, let me introduce you to the new addition to my favorite fantasy books -- Blood Heir. I think this book has everything that I love seeing in fantasy: an atmospheric world-building, morally grey and smart characters, addictive and really easy-to-get-into writing style, an intriguing plot with shocking twists and turns, and an enjoyable reading experience. I didn't notice that I was flying through this book and warn you, it is thick and if you do not know yet, I am always intimidated by thick books and I avoid them at all costs. But this one is so easy to fly through! It is not like other novels with morally grey main characters that you'll end up hating, because the two main characters in this story have both developed into individuals they never expected to grow into. I also adore their bants and I think I haven't seen that much banter in other fantasy novels before. The sequel to this fantastic fantasy has actually recently come out and being the fangirl that I am, I immediately closed my eyes and clicked the checkout button on the e-book version and as soon as it got delivered to my iBooks app, I started reading it! I'm only two chapters in and I cannot wait to read more of Ana's and Ramson's adventures!


On Music



On Films



On Life

  • I quit my job in January and had my last day at work on February 5. I returned the computer and all the other assets back to the office on February 9. It was a sad day for me, and up until today, I'm still regretting having to quit my job. :)

  • I celebrated Valentine's Day with my family and I wouldn't have it any other way. It made me realize how much I missed spending a lot of time with them which I wasn't able to do for a year when I had to work in the city.
  • To be honest, my mental health was not at its best this month. It was mainly caused by my job loss. I tried applying to various other job postings, but I had no luck in getting hired. My anxieties wouldn't let me sleep properly. My depression wouldn't let me do things that I would really love to do. But despite all these mishaps, I was glad to have had one self-care Sunday. I thought I would have another self-care Sunday but my depression said no. :)
  • On February 20, my family and I got the chance to be one with nature. We went to Colosboa Hills and it was an experience I would really love to do again in the future! It felt really nice to take in the fresh air, away from the toxicity of life, and just having lots of laughs and taking a lot of pictures with my family.

This post contains affiliate links which means that the blogger will receive a small commission, with no extra cost to you, if you buy through the links in this post.

If you enjoyed this post and would like to support the person behind this blog...

you might want to consider sending some Ko-Fi her way or you may share the word about her Twitter thread of Kindle book deals [contains affiliate links].

TIME FOR CHIT-CHAT, BUTTERFLIES!

How was your February? What was your favorite part of it? Have you read any amazing books? Also, I would really love to hear your feedback on this type of monthly wrap-up posts! Let me know what you would want me to improve on next month's wrap-up, or what you would want me to include.


Comments

  1. I am so sorry you lost your job, I really hope you can find something new and in the meantime take time for yourself. You had a great reading month! Quite looking forward to read 'everything everything' and 'choco chip hips" also 'a silent voice'. Am I wrong or is this even an anime? I am still guilty of not having watched 'to all the boys' yet! Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Cristina. I didn't realize that finding job these days would be so hard! Anyway, yasss, I'd like to think this is my best reading month yet since last year! A Silent Voice has its anime film adaptation! I have yet to watch it but I've heard it's really heart-wrenching, too, like the manga series. If you're feeling down, I think that's the best time to watch To All the Boys because it's just a really feel-good movie! Stay safe always!

      Delete

Post a Comment